Friday, July 3, 2009

The Vatican and Spanish Steps

The Vatican is actually a different country with the Pope as its head. Even when you are in Rome, Italy you must cross a border to go into the Vatican. It has its own currency (money), stamps and guards (whose costumes were designed by Michaelangelo). Since it is so important I decided to make that my first big stop in Rome and I spent the day exploring there yesterday. This was challenging because first of all I was kicked out when I tried to go into St. Peter’s Basillica. It is a huge church with hundreds of years of history. Many of the Popes are entombed there and there are also many important relics built right into the church. A relic is an important piece of something religious, like wood from the cross of Christ or the manger.

I was kicked out because I was not dressed properly. It is very hot here and I was planning to walk back to the place where we are staying after visiting the Vatican, so I had put on shorts and a sleeveless shirt. I guess the shorts showed my knees and my shoulders were a problem, so I could not go in. I was determined to go in, so I purchased two scarves and used one to cover my shoulders and the other to tie around my waist like a skirt. It worked! There is just WAY too much to see here and WAY too much history to describe in this blog post, so I am going to choose just a few things. A timeline is very helpful to me. I created one to put here, but I am not happy with it. I will keep trying to find a better way. If you have a suggestion I would really appreciate it. I am going to be adding to this timeline as I see things because I think it illustrates how everything I see here was built at a different time in history. The timeline starts with the Founding of Rome in 753, which I talked about yesterday and goes to the present with Dill and I visiting Rome. In between I have added the things that I saw yesterday and I will keep adding to it.

The first important thing I want to share a
bout is called La Pieta and it is a statue done by Michelangelo that can be found in St. Peter’s Basilica. Here is a picture of Dill admiring it. It was so beautiful and well done that people at the time did not think that Michelangelo who was only 25 could have done it. In order to prove he was the sculptor he put his name on it on a sash. There are TONS of other very beautiful and important things in the Basilica, but you will just have to visit to see them.

After visiting the Basilica (which is free, but you must dress correctly), I went on to the Vatican M
useums where the famous painting of God touching (creating) Man is painted on the ceiling. We had to walk through gallery after gallery of really fantastic art, paintings, sculpture, etc... to get to the chapel. When I got there I was totally amazed. There was SO much to see! the painting of God creating Man was only one of the panels of paintings all across the roof and the walls of the chapel. Michelangelo painted the ceiling and the scene of the Last Judgment in the front of the chapel. Many other painters did the other panels. I was disappointed that I could not take any photographs in the chapel, but I did buy a book and so here is Dill looking at the fold out of the ceiling. Amazing!

From here I walked back to the apartme
nt I am staying in, but I wanted to see one more thing on the way. One thing that many people want to see when they come to Rome is the Spanish Steps. They are majestic and at the top there is a terrific view of Rome, so many tourists spend time sitting on the steps and walking up to see the view. One of the teachers from my school suggested that Dill have his picture taken at the steps and I was glad because by the time I read the note I had already taken that picture!

FOOD REPORT
Last night I had a cone with gelato-lemon, cream and chocolate. I really do like the fruit flavors. Lemon was good. I am not sure that chocolate was the best combination with it though! I will put up a new poll soon. I have also been eating wonderful Italian food every night. I am not sure how they do it, but it is all soooo good. Two nights ago I had bruchetta (bread with tomato and basil roasted with olive oil) and linguini with pesto. Last night was tortollini in white sauce. Like the things I am seeing there is so much richness it is hard to explain it all.

10 comments:

  1. Was the Pieta still behind glass? It was when I was last there. You could get closer to it than Dill was, couldn't you? I hope so. It is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom says try "Dulce de Leche" gelato (caramel), if they have it. What really amazed me about the Sistene Chapel and St Peter's Basilca were the mosaics. My daughter bought me a little mosaic pin, that I liked very much, but I lost it and have been sad ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad Dill was picked as the name of the armadillo, because she is wearing a pink hat and Sheriff Bob is not a girl's name. I didn't get to vote. I am just cathing up on the blog today.

    I say try Mango gelato. How about a berry flavor - blackberry would be my favorite, or rasberry, or strawberry.

    I also thought the mosaics were amazing. Another amazing thing(among the many) I remember was a church made out of 3 colors of marble.

    I am curious about Pompeii. I remember learning about it in grammar school, and it sticks with me about the volcano. Is it still active? Is the city rebuilt at all or is it all ruins?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One question about the Spanish Steps - Is there anything besides a view? Do they go anywhere? Is there a building at the top? Do you know how many steps there are?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coralea says - I'm so glad you concurr with The Professor AND with me. Italian Gelato can't be replicated, no matter how hard one tries! I ate my way across Italy twice and would go back tomorrow in a flash! Hope you guys aren't as hot as we are making heat records in Austin.

    Keep posting. Your pictures and comments are very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coralea,

    The weather here has been perfect. It has been around 85 degrees at the heat of the day and beautiful in the evenings. Thanks for writing! It is always hard to know if someone else is reading (except for my Mom and sister of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susie, The Spanish steps do have a basilica (or big church) at the top. Dill and I were too tired and late getting home to walk up the steps when we were there. We were just happy to see them. Maybe I will get a chance before we leave here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marla,

    You are right. You can get much closer to La Pieta than it looks like in this picture. I do have a better picture, but Dill is not in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janice, I am so jealous! I have always wanted to see the Pieta in person. We studied Michelangelo in Art History. It is amazing to me that he captured a moment that Mary probably had when her son lay lifeless in her lap. You can just imagine what she must have been going through. The love and sadness pours out of that sculpture. I am glad to see that is it protected by glass. I can't remember when it happened but sometime in the 80s or 90s someone took a hammer to it and we almost lost it.

    My question to you is, can you tell that it has been damaged?

    This is my first post. I just put my son and grandson on the plane to go back home. I have been busy playing with my 3 year old grandson. Boy, I now know why you make them take naps. It isn't really for them as much as it is for me! FYI there really isn't much to do around austin that isn't outdoors for kids...except the Children's Museum which was awesome even for us adults!

    ReplyDelete
  10. More questions from your friends in Whitefish Bay, WI!

    We liked reading about how you are trying lots of different types of gelato. Some of us have had lemon and chocolate together and really liked it!

    Have you eaten pizza in Italy? Is it different that the pizza we have in the US?

    What are the popular sports in Italy?

    Are people you see commenting about how you are taking photos with Dill in them?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete