Monday, June 22, 2009

A New Mascot and a Kibbutz

The new mascot to look for in some of the photos that I post is an armadillo with a cowboy hat. Texas has the armadillo as the state animal. The card on this armadillo says, “Texans have fallen in love with this mammal through the years in so far as to adopt it as the state mascot in 1981”. I need to come up with a name for this mascot and so I am going to put up another poll and I hope you will all vote. But first of all I need suggestions of names for the poll. What should we name the armadillo?

Yesterday was another LONG traveling day. Here is what we did: 7:30 am taxi to the port at Kusadisi, 9:00 am ferry to Samos, 11:30 fight to Athens, 3:00ish (I can’t remember) flight to Cyprus, 9:00 flight to Tel Aviv, Israel, two hour taxi drive to ???? where I am now. We arrived at about 2:30 am. In spite of the long day and the many types of transport we did not lose our luggage and everything went as planned, so it was a miracle. But it is no surprise that I am tired today.

I woke up at 10:30 am in a strange place. The professor was gone. The poor guy had to go to meetings all day today starting at 7:30 am! I still don’t really know where I am. It is a kibbutz and I did take a walk and find a small grocery store where I could buy some food to eat. My main problem is that I cannot read the signs. I did find one with a spoon and fork and it led me to the grocery store. I also finished reading my book. I have read two books and listened to another already on this trip. I read “On Beauty” by Zadie Smith last week because it was in the hotel library. I had to read it before I left Turkey, so I read a lot. I have also been reading “Three Cups of Tea, One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace One School At a Time” which is an amazing true story of Greg Mortinson and the beginning of the Central Asia Institute. His stories make my trip sound extremely easy. I listened to “Tribes” by Seth Godin, I need to listen to that one again. It is thought provoking and I am not sure I agree with all of the things he says.

I just got done Skyping with Bob Dunn who is one of the Followers of the Odyssey. I am going to Skype with him and his class tomorrow! They are in Vermont, USA.

4 comments:

  1. Yolanda the armidillo. It is wearing a pink hat, so I think it needs a girl's name.

    Tell us what a kibbutz is like. Do people live in separate homes? How big is it? How many families live there? Do you eat meals together? Why do people choose to live on a kibbutz? Are you allowed to go outside the kibbutz? Is there a school on the kibbutz?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The armadillo's hat is actually white. It looks pink because we were under a red awning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoyed reading about your trip to Israel, especially all the different kinds of ways you needed to travel to get there.

    We have a few ideas for names for your armadillo - Dill, Texas, Bob, Sheriff Bob, and Kirby.

    Your friends in Whitefish Bay, WI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Janice-
    It was great Skyping with you yesterday. Everyone in class was really excited and engaged. I loved the part where you made us guess where you were located. Your thoughtful response to the Obama question was really appreciated. Here at home, many of us are so proud to have him as President -- he seems so reflective and empathetic. And he's a great family man as well, setting a tone for us all.

    We all started our day reading today's blog entry. I hope that you got several new followers from yesterday's events. I'll continue watching your progress -- enjoy the rest of the trip!

    ReplyDelete