Monday, June 22, 2009

Skyping with Vermont

I am still in Israel and I just finished talking with a group of teacher in Vermont who were taking a course on using Web 2.0 tools in the classroom. It was amazing to be able to connect with them. It was short, but exciting. I hope it motivates these teachers to try something in the future. They had to guess where I was calling from, so I used these pictures to give them some clues. The bread and butter that is hard to see here has Hebrew writing.

There was one thing that I wish I had answered differently. Someone there asked about the reaction to Obama’s speech.


I was struck in Turkey at how interested in Obama many people we talked to were. I told them how in Turkey I talked to a guy from Zimbabwe who is studying in Oslo, Norway and was on the trip to learn about archaeology in Turkey. He was very positive and hopeful in his comments, In Turkey the comments were all really positive.

In Israel it is different though and I actually have not talked to any Israelis yet, so I cannot honestly answer the question, but now I will make that one thng to explore while I am here. My American archaeologist friends told me that many Israelis are worried about how the Obama foreign policy to Israel will work out. They do not like his middle name and are concerned that he is really Arab. There are also others who do like Obama. It is complicated, like everything.

The Skype conference was fun! I would do that again! Anyone else want to Skype? If so, just comment her or email me at janicef@jfriesen.net.

4 comments:

  1. Hey -- I saw the title and thought, "I didn't know James skyped with the professor and Janney yesterday . . . " We are actually back in Boston now. He leaves Saturday. I've just looked back thru all your posts -- what an amazing trip. This time last year I was in Ephesus -- and I'm missing it. I'll be keeping a daily lookout for your posts. Kate will love watching for the mascot! :-) Love you guys. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Janice-
    We received a lot of positive feedback after our Skyping event yesterday. Your presentations were great -- especially the food labels that you showed us. We all read your blog this morning and appreciated your thoughtful response about how Obama is viewed in Israel.

    As usual, the technology wasn't foolproof and we were scrambling a little until we finally got you online but the end result was really worth it. I hope that lots of my classmates signed up as followers and will make some connections as time goes on.

    Enjoy the rest of your trip and thanks again for that terrific presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talked to Charissa today and she said Kate still talks about "Tom the Turkey," the mascot for James' class trip to Ephesus in March. Gotta name that armadillo!! :-)

    ReplyDelete